REMIX the WVRHC Archives: Call for digital / collage work
Modeled after the Virginia Caucus of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference project, REMIX / ARCHIVAL ODDITIES, this exhibition and online project by the WVU Libraries Art in the Libraries program seeks to inspire literal and figurative out-of-the-box ideas for our West Virginia & Regional History Center collections. WVRHC digital collections include:
- 31st Virginia Infantry Regiment Documents
- Child Ballads of West Virginia
- Clarysville Civil War Hospital Digital Collection
- Congressman Nick Joe Rahall II Digital Collection
- Francis H. Pierpont Civil War Telegram Series
- International Association for Identification
- Isaac Asimov Collection
- Jerry West Digital Collection
- Rush Dew Holt Political Cartoons
- Season's Greetings: Holiday Cards Collection
- Senator John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV Digital Collections
- Storer College Digital Photographs Collection
- USS West Virginia Digital Photographs
- West Virginia History On View: Historical Photographs
Of course, archives are used for research but they can also inspire contemporary thought, perspective and fun which is the aim of this curated project. Submissions might include redaction poetry, GIFs, collages, coloring pages, creative writing, memes and other creative interventions of remix. Submissions will be digital and submitted via email. The Art in the Libraries committee will select images to be uploaded to the exhibition page as well as a selected twenty to be displayed in the Downtown Campus Library Room 1020 during the summer of 2019. Details below.
The WVRHC collects, preserves, and provides public access to materials that show the history and culture of West Virginia and the central Appalachian region. The WVRHC is located on the 6th floor of the Downtown Campus Library.
Guidelines for Submissions
Submissions are not limited by style or subject matter, however:
- All work submitted must be the copyright of the artist.
- Artist may reside anywhere, but work must be made from the above digital archives of WVRHC.
- Submissions are open through midnight, May 31, 2019.
- You must submit via email.
- You may submit up to 10 images.
- Include the Collection name and title of archival work(s) used in the piece, with a link to the archival work(s) on the WVRHC website.
- Submissions must be in .JPG format, sized at 1500 pixels on the longest side, 72ppi.
- File names must include your last name and Collection (example: Anderson_OnView_1.jpg).
- Please include a telephone number with your submission(s).
- If willing, please include the name you would like credited for your piece and whether you are a WVU student, faculty, or other identifier.
- Images will be printed around 16"x20" depending on format of photograph.
By participating, you agree:
- To give the WVU Libraries permission to use your photos in exhibition, promotional, scholarly or other materials.
Email submissions and questions to WVU Libraries' Exhibits Coordinator, Sally Deskins, email@example.com.